Sunday, June 28, 2009

Canning: Pickled Eggs

I suppose they are an aquired taste, you love 'em or hate 'em. My son discovered these at a corner store a few years ago when he was about 6 years old and just thinks they are 'awesome.' I found a recipe online and tried it, I was surprised how easy they are to make and the price comparison is amazing for making them at home. (Compared to purchasing each egg for upwards of $1 each in a corner store; homemade less than $2 for a dozen pickled eggs).

12 eggs, hard boiled (shells removed and rinsed off)

1 1/2 cups white vinegar

1/2 cup water

1 tsp salt

1 tsp peppercorns

1 onion, thinly sliced

1. Boil vinegar, water, salt and peppercorns for one minute.

2. Pour over eggs in sterilized glass jars.

3. Add onions on top of the eggs.

4. Cover and store in the fridge.

Here's the hardest part: Don't eat for about 6 weeks, they need time to set up.

After the jar is open, the eggs seem to disappear quickly... according to my son, they are better than the corner store.

Add dried chili peppers for added kick (my son loves them this way).

Great out of the jar or sliced in half or quarters with a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment